We are hiring!
1 Project officer in charge of Community Media Hub
First, get to know us
We are Kenya Community Media Network (KCOMNET) – a non-profit organization and the national umbrella association for community media in Kenya. Community media engaged by KCOMNET include community radio, community resource centres, community newsletters, community cinema, community artists (theatre, creative writers, musicians, painters etc), community noticeboards, among others. KCOMNET supports community media in Kenya to address pressing socio-economic and local governance issues in the grassroots communities. Our activities are spread out in all 47 counties in Kenya.
Know what we are upto
We are in the process of setting up the first of its kind content marketing platform for community media in Kenya.
The platform will aggregate stories and community voices from all community radios and other community media across the country.
- The platform will combine podcasts with blogs and videos, photos and infographics, augmented with links to resources and organizations active on the topics so people can connect and take action.
- The platform will host digital learning content from community media in form of webinars, publications, whitepapers, explainer videos, etc.
- The platform will showcase the work of amateur and professional community media journalists seeking an open forum for posting news dispatches and commentary.
About the position
Publishing and marketing digital community media content focused on civic engagement and sponsorships/advertisements
The ideal candidate is fearless, aggressive and tech savvy.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in digital marketing, digital content creation, website management, creating compelling public engagement/advertisers acquisition campaigns, production management (video, photography) and building and managing social media communities. This individual is an expert in all things related to content creation, distribution & promotion, analytics,tools & technology.
The ideal candidate is someone who’s committed to our greater social justice mission and who wants to strengthen community media.
WHAT TO BRING
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mass communications, social sciences or any relevant academic qualification. A bias on development communication will be an added advantage.
- 1-5 years of experience in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Radio broadcast experience a plus.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office,etc.).
Lots of skills
- Proven editorial skills (preferably from a newsroom) or training as a print or broadcast journalist.
- has a “nose” for the story. Able to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- Social DNA a must! A passion for new technology tools and usage of those tools within your own blogs and social media outreach.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing (and the ability to adapt or ignore them as dictated by data).
- Excellent negotiator, mediator and incredible people skills. Great powers of persuasion and presentation (PowerPoint).
- Comfortable with acting as the project spokesperson and advocate via media appearances, interviews, sales calls, trade shows, etc.
- Relevant experience of engaging/working with community radio and other forms of community media.
- Ability to apply journalistic standards of fairness, accuracy, due diligence in reporting and fact-checking.
Stuff we’ll trust you with
On any given day you might:
- Invite input from community media journalists to help identify topics and conceptualize pieces that inform, inspire, and move people to take action.
- Manage the content production support fund for community media, including overseeing selection and quality review process, distribution of funds, monitoring progress, publishing and marketing the content.
- Meet with the project team (once a week), and the whole team (2 to 3 times a month) to discuss editorial plans and strategize about the project initiatives.
- Blog on an ongoing basis to support and promote community media.
- Grow our subscriber base (on mailchimp, Facebook, Twitter) by providing them with regular, helpful content that’s aligned with their needs and interests.
- Collaborate with designers, product marketers, sales professionals, and external influencers and industry experts to produce relevant content that meets the needs of both key stakeholders and our audience.
- Speak and present both internally and externally to promote the story of our community media outlets.
- Connect with influential media outlets and journalists to place stories about the project and other initiatives.
- Assist with event planning, including working with vendors, event coordinators, and design teams for on-site collateral.
- Create shareable content appropriate for specific networks to spread both our brand and our content.
- Work alongside the community radios to help produce and distribute content that educates and entertains our audience and supports marketing goals.
- among other duties as will be assigned.
Are you ready for the challenge?
Let your ideas shape the future. Deadline: 17th May 2018